Saturday, February 4, 2012

Waiting for the Worms .. or Not!


I came across several references to the same fascinating article in the past few days. The topic: “earworms” – that is, the commonplace reference for those occasions when you get a song, or a portion of a tune, stuck in your head. You know what I mean, people talk about it all the time.

Well, now apparently there’s some scientific perspective to ... ahhh ... clear the air, as it were ... or not! Check out this article from NPR’s The World on “Earworms: Tunes That Stick in Our Heads,” and the follow up detailing other NPR-staffers’ perspective on the topic.

Ironically, despite the seeming ubiquity of this phenomenon, this is not something I personally experience very often. I’m not sure why. Perhaps it’s because I listen to so much music there’s no space for earworms. Or maybe my head is just thick as a brick!


No comments:

Post a Comment