Monday, May 24, 2010

One Year In ...

In the immortal words of David Lowery of Cracker and Camper Van Beethoven renown: “Happy Birthday to Me” ... err, well, this blog anyway.

Today marks the one year anniversary of my launching The Mad Archivists’ Club blog as a forum for airing my thoughts on music, the state of modern media and a smattering of other things that happen to strike my fancy.

While it remains (and likely always will be) a work in progress, this blog has managed to stick fairly close to the vision I originally had for it last May (as outlined in my introductory post).

It has, in fact, been mostly about music (40 percent of the posts), secondarily about media-related things (26 percent) and filled out with a variety of other topics. I was a little surprised to note a half-dozen posts about documentary films, but – perhaps somewhat paradoxically – also surprised that there weren’t more posts about history, literature or sports.

It is no surprise, however, that the music-related entries are the ones that garnered the most views. There’s no doubt that they’re the most viral.

The 118 posts were mostly original writing, with a few dozen just being contextual setups for links to interesting and thought-provoking articles or videos I came across elsewhere. A handful were simply funny or interesting photos.

I harbored no illusions about garnering a lot of comments – and a friend wisely cautioned me: “Be careful what you wish for, 90 percent of web comments are argumentative, if not outright hostile” (kind of like the old print world). I have no aversion to a good debate, but I am still grappling with the challenge that most of the comments end up on the Facebook and Twitter links, rather than the blog itself. No matter, I’m not sweating it. I’m just glad that some people are reading it.

Once again, as Mr. Lowery says: “I’m feeling thankful for the small things today.”



No comments:

Post a Comment